Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Ashes to Ashes

Today marks Ash Wednesday, the beginning of lent. Forty days of preparation representing the forty days that Jesus faced temptation from the devil. The road, of course leads to Easter Sunday, the most important day in the Church calendar. As is custom for practicing Catholics, I am supposed to make a resolution of a way to improve myself over the lenten season. When you're a kid this means giving up the temptation of candy, pop or video games as a sacrifice to help you remember the greater temptation that Christ resisted. One of my friends in recent years went to extremes and gave up beer.

So what am I giving up? Perhaps I should abstain from negative posts full of attacks. After all, Bush won, Dayton is stepping aside, the Iraqis had free elections and man-hating Cathy of the comics page even got married. Yes, eliminating negativity would make a good resolution and would cleanse my soul.

On the other hand the devil himself has sent Nick Coleman, Hitlery Clinton, Patty Wetterling, Al Franken, Bill Moyers and the StarTribune editorial board to tempt me. I pray that I will have the strength.

Or I could just say screw it and give up swearing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sisyphus said...

I was going to give up reading soccer posts at Power Line, but that's not really a sacrifice. I think I'll just give up selling assault rifles to David Strom.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home