Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I'm Feeling Thankful for the Small Things Today

Nihilist in Golf Pants is one year old today. To celebrate, I've set the site template to multi-color. There will be much reminiscing. However, here I want to go into a bit of the history of this site for those who weren't with us from the beginning.

I have been friends with the Fraters Libertas guys since long before they started blogging. When they did start, I generally mocked them. Ultimately, I was proven wrong and they became a part of the Northern Alliance Radio Network (NARN) on AM 1280, The Patriot.

In 2004, NARN pulled double duty at the fair. With six extra hours of material needed, Brian and Chad and I discussed doing a bit for one of the radio shows. The bit was an indignant rant by Brian against Garrison Keillor. Keillor had just written a hate-filled piece about how all Republicans were evil. He had a list of the types of people who were Republicans: hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks, Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the rest of us, Newt's evil spawn. . .

Brian read off these names Keillor used one at a time and ask the crowd if they were represented there. When no one answered, he would explain that Keillor believes that we are evil people, while the entire time getting paid to lecture us with a pile of our tax dollars. Finally, when he asked if there were any Nihilists in Golf Pants, I stepped forward (actually wearing golf pants) and we conducted an interview where I portrayed an elitist a-hole.

The bit finished and NARN went to commercial. After commercial, NARN was doing another bit, a call out to all local bloggers, giving each about a minute to plug their blog. Brian suggested it would be funny if I was first up and claimed that I ran the "Nihilist in Golf Pants" blog. I did, and we got a few laughs.

Later, I actually set up the blog on a lark. My first post was intended to be my only post. Every week at Keegans, friends would ask about the blog and if I was posting again. Then one day, a young man called Sisyphus asked a question about the death of Jacques Derrida and the marriage of Tiger Woods. I responded, and then started occasionally posting. I ended up eventuallyly bringing Sisyphus on, and he is now the straw that stirs the drink at this blog. I believe he is the funniest person on the internet. In August, he got over 7,000 hits on this post, thanks to a link by Hugh Hewitt.

So that brings us up to date. Now, we basicallyly post daily. I suppose that I need mention that we are a satirical blog and that most of the time, we are just screwing around and trying to make our audience laugh. I hope we succeed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well. You can fool some of the people all of the time.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home