Monday, July 17, 2006

There He Goes Again

Is anyone else getting a little tired of Learned Foot’s “Oh everything from Wisconsin is so great” act?

Living so close to the Wisconsin border, we’re used to hearing the delusional rantings of certain Wisconsonites: “Oh, the Packers are the best football team ever”. “Oh, Lambeau Field is the bestest field in the whole wide world”. “Oh, Packer fans are the bestest fans in the NFL”. “Oh, the Badger hockey team doesn’t suck”. Now Foot takes things too far: He’s claiming that Wisconsin sharp cheddar is the best cheese.

Sure, if I were to serve an array of cheeses with crackers at a party, cheddar would be among the most popular. But so would swiss and colby. And few, if any, would care where the cheddar was made. I, unlike Foot, follow my principles when choosing a cheese and my principles demand that I evaluate cheeses on merit, not geography. Wisconsin sharp cheddar doesn’t merit a Ritz cracker.

Both of my parents are originally from Wisconsin. My Mom grew up in the shadow Camp Randall stadium. My Dad grew up on a Wisconsin dairy farm that supplied cheese makers.

Everything above is true and more. I could play the Wisconsin card too, but (a) my parents moved to Minnesota before I was born, (b) even my Dad realizes that there is plenty of good cheese other than Wisconsin sharp cheddar, and (c) the fact that a cheese is produced in the state you grew up in is a poor criteria for choosing a cheese (and ALL cheese makes you want to swig a beer, not just Wisconsin sharp cheddar).

I’ve probably devoted more time and space to Foot’s cheese of choice than it deserves, but you have to admit, everything I’ve just written is absolutely right and correct, as always.

Unless some unforeseen residual issue pops up, this is all I intend to say on the matter.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nicko McDave said...

Foot on cheese? That really stinks.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Bike Bubba said...

I love sharp cheddars, but you also need some squeaky cheese curds to balance things out.

Interesting comment on California cheese, but that's not exactly what gets a block of curd into my fridge.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer Tillamook when it comes to Cheddar. And no, I'm not from the Pacific Northwest. However, Tillamook tastes many times better when consumed in Washington than at a Redstone atop a burger.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I like Extra Extra Sharp Cheddars. I like the taste of Tillmook but there's something wrong with the texture, it's got the mouthfeel of spackle.

Best Extra Sharp cheddar I ever had was brought directly from a dairy farm in WI by a grad school freind of mine. I paid him 5 bucks for an enormous foul smelling hunk wrapped in plastic. But man the flavor! My mom made a special cheese dip with horseradish with some of it which was to die for.

I cried when I ate the last of it.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an Irish aged white cheddar that put's all others to shame. Get it at Syrdeks (Spelling?) or France 44.

5:13 PM  
Blogger sequel said...

I will be traveling the Oregon and Washington coast next week, and on my way through Tllamook county Oregon I will by mucho cheeso.
Wisconsin Cheddar has no taste or texture. Blech!
Like eating play dough.
Wisconsin squeaky cheese curds on the other hand are one of the wonders of the midwest, in the same catagory as fresh off the farm sweet corn and bratwurst

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home