Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tony Dungy On Theology

A lot of people have commented on Tony Dungy's invoking the name of "The Lord" in his postgame comments after his Indianapolis Colts won the AFC Championship last Sunday. Here is what he said:

I just have to thank the Lord. He did it in such a way that nobody would believe it. We got to give the Lord a lot of credit for giving us the strength to do it.

And:

I think the Lord really tested us a lot from last year.

This led to classy internet comments like this:

Tony Dungy is an idiot.

Generally speaking, Jesus freaks love publicity.

and my favorite:

Do these guys really believe that God was tuned in on His new 56" big screen and cared who won a sporting contest in an endeavor consisting of controlled mayhem,beer commercials and pickup truck ads?

I am certain that someone able to coach a team to the Super Bowl cannot be an idiot. I don't know if he is a Jesus "freak" or if his comments are sincere. I don't even know if God cares who wins a football game.

But is it so ridiculous? God isn't like you or me. He doesn't have a to-do list where He hopes to cross off two or three chores. He isn't bounded by time. He is all seeing, all knowing, all powerful. The first two mean that he is aware of every event of the Patriots versus Colts game Sunday evening.

As a Catholic, I believe He gave us free will. That means, in football terms, he gave the Patriots and the Colts the independence to make their own decisions on how hard they would practice, on what plays they would call, on what substitutions they would make. Catholics and most other Christian denominations believe that free will means God doesn't intervene in human affairs. Yet Catholics pray in petition. They ask God to heal the sick, feed the poor, intercept a Tom Brady pass.

God definitely doesn't answer all prayers. For everyone praying for a Brady interception, there may be another praying for a Brady touchdown pass. Yet only the sickest individual would pray asking for natural disasters, disease or poverty. Yet God allows those conditions to occur.

God answers some prayers and leaves others unanswered. He doesn't owe us or offer us an explanation.

So who are we to criticize Tony Dungy? And more importantly, why would a loving God allow the Bears to win the Super Bowl?

5 Comments:

Blogger P.J. Wiggin said...

Right on! God bless the Colts....and whatever the opposite is for Da Bears!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen brother! People calling Dungy a "Jesus Freak" have yet to achieve the maturity level of a teenager. When confronted by that with which they disagree, they must tear down in order to know for sure that their way is best. I certainly believe that the faith I follow is the best, or else I would abandon it for something else. I don't need, however, to see those of other faiths torn down (or killed for that matter) because they believe differently. I may try to persuade them with gentleness and respect, but I know that my or my faith's value exists whether others agree or not. Remember, if there is no God, then just relax. It will all be over with soon enough!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the Bears win the Super Bowl is isn't because I didn't bless the Colts, it's just that I feel some things should be handled by mankind themselves without my interference. For now anyway, that's going to change in 2008.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, and my earthly servant the Pope, urge you to change your ways while you can.

1:42 PM  
Blogger JB said...

The thing I've always liked about God is that he answers Catholic's prayer requests first.

The "Protest" religions come waaaay down on the list.

There must not have been many Catholic prayers on Sunday.

Damn, I should have prayed for something cool.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home