Sunday, February 03, 2008

You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means

I just watched the Ultimate Fighting match between former Gopher and NCAA champion Brock Lesnar and former UFC Champion Frank Mir (video here; I'd embed, but I believe this will be pulled within hours, as the fight was costly pay-per-view event).

Note that at the 30 second mark, Lesnar is penalized for hitting Mir in the back of the head.

Let's check Webster's dictionary:

Ultimate 1d: the best or most extreme of its kind : utmost

This is supposed to be the most extreme type of fighting, and you can't hit your opponent in the back of the head? I would guess that true ultimate fighting would feature chairs, pool cues, and two-by-fours with nails sticking out.

I'm guessing the guy who came up with the name "Ultimate Fighting Championships" may be the same guy behind John McCain's new "Proud Conservative" ad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home