Sunday, January 03, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Spoiler Free) Review

Over the holidays, I got around to seeing Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Since many people still haven't seen it, I'll avoid spoilers by focusing on the casting and their performances. Specifically:
  • I enjoyed seeing Harrison Ford reprise his role as Han Solo and it was also fun to see Chewbaca.
  • Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill were far less fun, and the droids R2D2 and C3PO were tedious. However, none of them were central enough to the plot to ruin the film.
  • I thought John Boyega was ok as new supporting character Finn.
  • Newcomer Daisy Ridley did a decent job as main character Rey, but I was distracted by the fact that she looks a lot like Russell Brand.
The most obvious casting problem was Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. Driver simply didn't convince me as the villain . He, like many of the new cast, was relatively unknown prior to this film. His biggest role was in the HBO show "Girls". I'm shocked that producer J.J. Abrams and company watched "Girls" and failed give the role of the most evil and dangerous presence in the universe to Lena Dunham.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home